Friday, October 9, 2009

Breathe

I'm trying to keep breathing in all sorts of ways.  Both literally and figuratively....but the topic I'll focus on here is in the literal sense of the meaning.

All of this week I've been sick with a horrible cold and respiratory virus- so have the kids. I can barely breath...my chest is tight and my nose is completely clogged. Right now I'm very drowsy on my various cold medicines and they (the kids) get out of school early today so I'm trying to keep myself from falling asleep.  Writing always does the trick to help keep me awake so thought I'd just write down some various thoughts I've been having this morning. 

I've been thinking about the minor miracles of life the past few days.  One of which is over-the-counter medicine, especially fever reducers.  Mimi woke up with a high fever of nearly 103 the other night and I myself have been running just as hot.  Without this medication we would not be able to cope. I cannot say that my sinus medication, cough suppresant or anything else has worked, but the fever reducer has.  Thank goodness! 

The tought about modern day medicines led me to think about mothers of days gone by and how they must have felt when their children were ill like this- without anything to help them other than prayer and the passage of time.  I think of the mothers on The Mayflower who must have been beside themselves as their small children grew ill aboard the boat for months on end.  And all the Pioneer mothers who trekked from the east to the western side of the U.S. who had to take their small children with them- often times losing them to illness.  These women must have experienced such worry and heartache.  I am so grateful that when my babies wake up sick, I can just reach for a bottle of children's Tylenol. 

Small miracles....something to be grateful for indeed.  Here's to a healthy flu season for all (I'm hoping we are getting it out of the way early and will not experience it again until next year)!  
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment