My little boy is barely 7 years old. He comes up with the most hilarious things, as children often do.
Since my writing by nature usually reflects my more introspective side, I have decided to break my own mold. Every so often I thought I'd share with you some of the things I hear in my home that come from the mouth of babes. It may not make you laugh the same way it makes me, but hopefully it will at least bring a little smile.
The other day, Mr. C (one of my son's many nicknames) brought me a perfectly good yellow crayon. He was drawing a picture of space and was using it for the stars.
The following conversation took place:
C: "Mommy, I really need this sharper."
Me: "It's already sharp, Lovey. Why do you need it sharpened?"
C: "Yeah, it's sharp but it's not nearly sharp enough."
Me: "How much sharper would you like it to be?"
Son: "Well, really, it's only sharp enough when it hurts to be poked with it."*
Luckily he didn't add a "duh, Mom, don't you know anything?" on the end of the conversation.
(Sweet kid)
I could, however, tell by the intense look he gave me that he thought this should have been perfectly clear logic to me.
I must admit that I like the way children think and speak. They just cut to the chase. I could learn a thing or two from that.
Sadly I didn't have a thing to sharpen the crayon with, other than a pocket knife and it ended up more block shaped than when he handed it to me.
Guess it's time to invest in a new crayon sharpener.
*And yes, I did remind him that it's not kind to poke anyone with anything sharp, and he said he only meant for paper of course. Phew.











No comments:
Post a Comment