Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rub-a-Dub-Dub...

.....a Sugar Scrub for your tub (OK, shower)!

I needed to take my mind off a few (trillion) things the other day so decided to make a sugar shower scrub for myself and my daughter (and have an extra jar I'm saving for a friend too...which is in the photo).

Growing up, my grandmother owned and operated a health food store. She taught me early on the importance of natural products (she's like a wise medicine woman) so rather than buy chemical-laden store brand scrubs I make my own.

The base recipe is so simple:
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
(or 1 cup granulated, 1 cup brown)
1 cup of olive oil
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice from a lemon


For a real exfoliating experience I added 1/2 cup of coarse kosher sea salt. I also decided to make it a sugar and spice scrub so added:
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of cloves

Stir it all together and put it in a jar or plastic container. Any extra oil/juice will separate and float to the top so you want to stir it again before each use. I personally don't like the extra oil and juice so I poured mine through cheesecloth to strain it. I use recycled food jars to store the scrub but you could buy the pretty Ball preserve jars and tie a ribbon to it for gift giving.

Rub on and leave for 5-10 minutes and rinse well with warm/hot water. Your skin will thank you for it. The olive oil does wonders for softness and to clear up any irritations.

It's awesome just as a hand scrub too! Leave a little jar by the kitchen sink and whenever your hands are extra dry, rub some on and leave for a while and they'll be baby soft again in no time.

You can add other things rather than the sugar and spice mix....you could add lavender or a little baby oil or instead of sea salt you could add dried grated orange/lemon rind to add an extra scrub factor. Use the base and then use your imagination.

With Mother's Day around the corner I may make some more and give it as a gift. Girls....share this recipe link with your friends, it really is so cheap to make and takes 5 minutes. Guys....make some for your mom, girlfriend or even guy friends who appreciate good skin care! If you want me to make some for you, let me know. I don't have a ton of supplies but could make little samples to send out.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea. I might have to try this tomorrow (or when I have the energy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for posting this. I'm using it for Christmas gifts for my Visiting Teachees.

    ReplyDelete